Kama Glow in the Dark Pigments
These Kama Glow in the Dark Pigments are phosphorescent pigments that absorb UV energy and then re-transmit it as an afterglow. Their effect is permanent as long as the paint film is intact. These glow in the dark pigments are complex metal compounds that respond to excitation by daylight, incandescent, fluorescent or ultraviolet lights. These pigments emit a bright phosphorescence and exhibit high initial brightness and afterglow. The afterglow effect is dependent on pigment concentration, surface area and amount of radiant energy absorbed.
Precautions when handling phosphorescent pigments :
- When working with strong acids since this can cause dissolution of phosphorescent pigments.
- In the presence of high relative humidity and sunlight, phosphorescent pigments can exhibit darkening.
- It is not recommended to mill this product, because this will degrade the phosphorescence due to breakdown of the crystal structure of the pigment. Mild stirring should be used to incorporate these pigments into a binder.
- The addition of colorless extenders or colored pigments will reduce the intensity of the phosphorescence.
- Testing is recommended in the intended application to determine suitability.
These pigments are used to produce the colour in all different types of artist paints. The Kama Pigments range of colours only includes pigments that have been selected both for chemical purity and lightfastness. Phosphorescent (glow in the dark) pigments, chemically pure and without additives.
Working with dry pigments enables artists to make their own paints according to their specific tastes and expectations. Mix these artist quality pigments with the paint binder of your choice to create your own watercolor, oils, gouache, acrylic and more.