Your Privacy with The Paint Spot – In-store and Online
Any personal information that is collected, used, disclosed and retained by The Paint Spot Ltd. complies with provisions of the Personal Information Protection Act of Alberta and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Canada.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
What Information is Collected by Paint Spot
When you shop with us by name (in-store and online), your contact information is retained and used to identify you as eligible to receive discounted pricing as per our Friends of the Spot or Whyte Avenue Art Walk Artist programs. In addition, your purchase history is retained in our database. The information will also be used to update your Paint Spot Customer Profile and Paint Spot Membership information as necessary, retrieve past invoices to assist you in exchanging or returning a purchase, and to tailor special promotions and invitations to members-only events to your shopping preferences. In providing The Paint Spot Ltd. with your personal information and shopping by name with your Paint Spot Customer Profile, you agree to this use of the collected information.
You may also opt in to receive promotional and informational communications from us, by either mail or email, or both.
- Email communications, which we send via email provider Constant Contact, include information regarding sales promotions, in-store events and demonstrations, and other timely information. We send between 2 and 3 email communications each calendar month.
Our email communications practices are in accordance with the Canada Anti-Spam Law (CASL). When you opt in to join our email list, we will add your name to our electronic mailing list because you have given us specific permission to do so.
- You may opt in to receive email communications by completing a Join the Paint Spot’s Email Club form or by updating your communication preferences verbally in-store, during the course of correspondence by asking us to add your contact information, or via our online sign-up form. See the ” Newsletter Sign Up” on the bottom footer of this page.
- You may opt out of email communications at any time by clicking the Unsubscribe link provided in each email we send, by emailing us at email@example.com from the email address you wish to unsubscribe, or by visiting or phoning our store with your request.
We occasionally send emails to addresses that have not opted in, as per the Implied Consent designation of CASL, with your email address either being publicly published or being provided to us by a trusted source, such as a member of our creative community or one of our staff members. Emails such as this are normally to invite you to an event that appears to fit your professional interests.
If you do not wish to hear from us, you may select the Unsubscribe link found at the bottom of every promotional email we send, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org from the email address the promotional email was sent to and we will remove your email address within 2 business days.
When you voluntarily send us electronic mail, we will keep a record of this information so that we can respond to you. This information is retained in our email program’s history and, in regards to emails involving your communications preferences, may be retained to ensure we have a record of your requests.
Should you wish to change your communication preferences or opt out of promotional communications completely, update your Paint Spot Customer Profile and Membership information, or be removed from our customer database, please contact us in writing at email@example.com with your full name, phone number, mailing address, and email address, by mail to the address below, or telephone or visit our store in person with your request.
What Information is Collected Automatically by Our Website Server
When you visit our website to browse, read pages or download information, our web server automatically collects a limited amount of information essential for the operation and security of our website. The following information is collected and stored:
- The Internet Protocol Address and/or domain name used. The Internet Protocol Address is a numerical identifier assigned either to your Internet service provider or directly to your computer. The address can be translated to determine the domain name of your service provider;
- The type of operating system and browser that you use;
- The date and time of your visit; and
- The web pages or services you accessed.
Information collected automatically in this manner is used for purposes such as improving web services, website management and assessing system performance, based on cumulative data from website traffic. The Paint Spot Ltd. does not use this information to determine your personal identity unless required to do so by law.
How We Protect and Use the Personal Information that We Collect
- Whether you have given us your address for temporary (email inquiries) or permanent use (electronic mailing list), your personal information will only be used by authorized Paint Spot staff to fulfil the purpose for which it was originally collected.
- We do not disclose your personal information to other public or private bodies or individuals except as authorized or required by law. We only obtain contact information that is offered voluntarily and do not use purchased, rented, third party, or appended lists. We will only keep your information for the length of time necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected unless otherwise stated. We also request that you update us on any changes to your contact information.
If at any time you wish to access the information which we have collected about you, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Paint Spot Ltd. is obligated to protect your personal information by making reasonable security arrangements against such risks as unauthorized access, collection, use disclosure or disposal. Such security measures have always been an integral component of the day-to-day operating practices of The Paint Spot Ltd. This is part of our continuing commitment to the protection of the personal information of our customers.
A ‘Cookie’ is a small file stored on your computer by your web browser when using some internet sites. Cookies can also store personal information such as your name, email, address, home or work address, or telephone number. ‘Persistent Cookies’ can use this type of personal information to identify you whenever you access a web site. ‘Sessional Cookies’ are used to help you move around a website and do not store personal information.
The Paint Spot Ltd. does not use ‘Persistent Cookies’ (which may store personal information); however, we may use Sessional Cookies (which do not store personal information).
If you have concerns about this feature of your web browser, you can change your browser to not accept this information or to display warning messages. Please review the on-line help documents associated with your browser in order to access these features.
Links to Other Websites
Who to Contact for More Information about Your Privacy:
The Paint Spot
10032 81 Avenue
Edmonton AB T6E 1W8