This Washi sampler package is ideal for printmakers looking to try an assortment of translucent Japanese mokuhanga paper. Mokuhanga means block print and this washi assortment showcases some carefully selected papers that are ideal for wood block and lino. Don’t be shy; washi is so much stronger than it first appears. Try them for letterpress, bookbinding and Gelli plate monoprints. These Japanese papers are also good for collage and some drawing.
When you find a mokuhanga paper you love from this sampler package, you may find it available in stock or by special order in large sheets and rolls. You can find a full selection of available papers on the Japanese Paper Place website. We are able to special order any of their papers for you.
The images below illustrate Mokuhanga paper in use:
- Circle – rubbing of a coin using colored pencil.
- Green strip – watercolour is painted over a thin line of beeswax
- Fish – a tiny lino print carved from an eraser and printed using water based block print ink
- Tiny lines – brown pigment liner marking pen.
- Blue Square – watercolour diluted with lots of water – testing for spreading.
- The small check marks outside the sample are the author’s preference.
Includes 1 each 8.5×11″: