Clairefontaine PastelMat Pastel Paper Pads 24 x 30cm
Clairfontaine PastelMat pastel paper is a new concept for the pastel market. The pastel adheres so well to this new paper that you don’t need to use a fixative between each layer. You are able to multiply the layers without a saturation effect. Pastelmat brings new opportunities for pastel artists, offering a coarser surface than velour but a softer surface than sand paper. It is available in 8 colours: warm, cool, or achromatic colours for every subject with dry pastels. In the pads, each sheet is protected by a crystal paper divider. Dry or wet erase, the Pastelmat keeps it original properties.
Glassine Sheets: Pastlemat pads are bound with glassine barrier sheets between each page to prevent smudging.
Pastelmat from Clairefontaine was designed to meet the specific expectations of serious pastel artists. The strong, buttery surface has more tooth than traditional Ingres papers, yet is not abrasive, allowing painterly effects to be achieved. Its texture allows it to grab onto the pastel, breaking up the pigment and pulling it deep into the surface for exceptionally vibrant color. Flat tints, precise details, or delicate and transparent veils are easily realized. The use of fixative is not necessary with Pastelmat. This paper’s rigidity, weight, and light-resistance guarantee conservation of the artwork.
- 12 sheets per pad
- Size: 24 x 30 cm
- 170 lb (360 gsm) heavy-weight paper
- Acid Free
- Neutral pH
- Ideal surface for oil pastels, charcoal, colored pencils, acrylics, watercolors and gouache
- Also available in full sheets or 30 x 40cm pads
More about PastelMat:
- “Painting with Pastel”. Pastelmat has a unique interaction with pastels, allowing the artist to create painterly effects with soft, buttery marks.
- Blending: Offers remarkable control, for effortless, precision blending.
- Layering: Supports building up multiple layers of pigment to control color tone and intensity.
- No Pastel Dust. The extreme abrasiveness of sanded papers generates large amounts of dust. Inhaled or absorbed over a long period, this can cause serious health problems. Pastel artists are recommended to wear masks and work over a tray to catch dust. In comparison, Pastelmat ‘s velvety surface produces relatively little dust so that such precautions are not necessary.
- Erasability: Pastel can be easily and completely erased with the use of melamine foam foam sponges (such as Mr. Clean Magic Erasers or by spraying compressed air to remove the pastel. Although both tools remove pigment, pastels will nevertheless remain stable under normal conditions and do require the application of fixatives.
- Fineline Artwork: Unlike grittier papers, Pastelmat’s velvety surface is suitable for fineline artwork.
- Lower Consumption Rate of Pastels. Pastelmat’s surface consumes pastel sticks at a 30% slower rate than sanded papers.
- Fingertip Scraping: Fingertip blending on sanded papers is rough on artists’ skin. Pastelmat’s velvety surface is gentle.
- Foam & Sponge Applicators. Pastelmat supports the use of foam and sponge applicators for applying pigment, blocking areas of color, layering and underpainting.
- Non-toxic Surface. The non-toxic surface is made with natural cellulose particles. In comparison, sanded papers are made from materials for industrial use. The grit on the surface of sanded papers is produced by the application of aluminum oxide, a skin irritant with a questionable safety record.
- Washes: Holds up to water or solvent-based washes. This allows artists to create underpaintings with solutions of denatured alcohol or other solvents and build layers on top.
- No need for fixatives. Because Pastelmat’s surface pulls and holds pigment so deeply, you don’t need fixatives to keep the color stable.
- Mixed Media Surface: The surface is so versatile that, in addition to pastel, it will support most dry and wet media including: oil pastels, charcoal, colored pencils, acrylics, watercolors and gouache.
- Supports All Pastel Types: Supports the application of soft, medium and hard pastels, oil pastels, and PanPastel, as well as pastel pencils.