Clairefontaine PastelMat Sheets 50 x 70 cm
Clairfontaine PastelMat sheets are the best new concept for pastel artists. Oil and Soft pastels adhere so well to this subtly gritty paper that you don’t need to use a fixative between each layer. You are able to multiply the layers without a saturation effect. Pastelmat brings new opportunities for pastel artists, offering a coarser surface than velour, yet a softer surface than sand paper. Dry or wet erase, the paper keeps it’s original properties.
Pastelmat from Clairefontaine was designed to meet the specific expectations of serious pastel artists. The strong, buttery surface has more tooth than traditional Ingres papers, yet is not abrasive, allowing painterly effects to be achieved. Its texture allows it to grab onto the pastel, breaking up the pigment and pulling it deep into the surface for exceptionally vibrant color. Flat tints, precise details, or delicate and transparent veils are easily realized. The use of fixative is not necessary with Pastelmat. This paper’s rigidity, weight, and light-resistance guarantee conservation of the artwork.
These sheets are available in 6 colours: white, brown, sienna, light grey, dark grey and anthracite.
- 1 Sheet
- Size: 50 x 70 cm (19.75″ x 27.5″)
- 170 lb. (360 gsm) heavy-weight paper sheets
- Acid Free
- Neutral pH
- Ideal surface for oil pastels, charcoal, colored pencils, acrylics, watercolors and gouache
- Also available in pads: 24 x 30 cm or 30 x 40 cm pads
Don’t see the quantity you want? Contact us to special order.
For shipping, please order a minimum of 5 sheets. It is easier to package to prevent damage. This product may not qualify for free shipping due to its size. You will be contacted after purchase about additional fees. You can also contact us for a shipping quote. Find our detailed shipping policy here.
More about PastelMat:
- “Painting with Pastel”. Pastelmat has a unique interaction with pastels, allowing the artist to create painterly effects with soft, buttery marks.
- Blending: Offers remarkable control, for effortless, precision blending.
- Layering: Supports building up multiple layers of pigment to control color tone and intensity.
- No Pastel Dust. The extreme abrasiveness of sanded papers generates large amounts of dust. Inhaled or absorbed over a long period, this can cause serious health problems. Pastel artists are therefore are recommended to wear masks and to work over a tray to catch dust, minimizing the amount of dust that gets on clothing, on the floor, or gets blown through the house by the heating or A/C system. In comparison, Pastelmat ‘s velvety surface produces relatively little dust so that such precautions are not necessary.
- Erasability: Pastel can be easily and completely erased with the use of melamine foam foam sponges (such as Mr. Clean Magic Erasers or by spraying compressed air to remove the pastel. Although both tools remove pigment, pastels will nevertheless remain stable under normal conditions and do require the application of fixatives.
- Fineline Artwork: Unlike grittier papers, Pastelmat’s velvety surface is suitable for fineline artwork.
- Lower Consumption Rate of Pastels. Pastelmat’s surface consumes pastel sticks at a 30% slower rate than sanded papers.
- Fingertip Scraping: Fingertip blending on sanded papers is rough on artists’ skin. Pastelmat’s velvety surface is gentle.
- Foam & Sponge Applicators. Pastelmat supports the use of foam and sponge applicators for applying pigment, blocking areas of color, layering and underpainting.
- Non-toxic Surface. The non-toxic surface is created with natural cellulose particles. In comparison, sanded papers are adapted from materials designed for industrial use. The grit on the surface of sanded papers is produced by the application of aluminum oxide, a skin irritant with a questionable safety record.
- Washes: Holds up to water or solvent-based washes. This allows artists to create underpaintings with solutions of denatured alcohol or other solvents and build layers on top.
- No need for fixatives. Because Pastelmat’s surface pulls and holds pigment so deeply, fixatives are not needed to keep the color stable.
- Mixed Media Surface: The surface is so versatile that, in addition to pastel, it will support most dry and wet media including: oil pastels, charcoal, colored pencils, acrylics, watercolors and gouache.
- Supports All Pastel Types: Supports the application of soft, medium and hard pastels, oil pastels, PanPastel, as well as pastel pencils.