Restoration mediums – Schmincke Varnish Remover 60 ml
Schmincke Varnish Remover works more efficiently than oil of turpentine or turpentine substitute for removing varnish for conservation and restoration. Apply varnish remover with a soft lint-free cloth to a small area; moisten the varnish with lightly (!) rotary motions and take it off carefully with the cloth. Observe the softening process of the colour layer. Pre-tests before use!
- Varnish remover works more efficient on varnish layers than oil of turpentine 50024 / 50102 or turpentine substitute 50019.
- Common use: Apply product sparingly with a soft lint-free cloth on a small area. Moisten the varnish
- with lightly (!) rotary motions and take it off. (Attention: The product should be left only very briefly on the surface of the picture. Take care with impasto art works: Such surfaces could be damaged mechanically if being rubbed to hard!)
- Many classic oil and tempera painting techniques use resins that can be removed using this product. Please make sure that no upper-most colour layers are softened or dissolved during cleaning!
- Always pre-test the product on an area that is not directly visible, e.g. at the edge of the picture in the fold region of the ornamental frame.
- We recommend that you have such work performed on valuable paintings by a professional restorer.
- Close immediately after use.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Individual pre-tests are required.
Size: 60 ml
Contains: alcohols, acetone, mineral spirit, natural oils.