Schmincke Medium W Gel
Schmincke Medium W gel is a jelly like “lean” watersoluble oil medium for mixing oil colours with water instead of solvents. Medium W increases gloss and transparency, reduces viscosity, harmonizes the drying process, and is odorless. Adding this watersoluble oil medium to your oil paints allows you to clean up with soap and water.
Mix 2 parts of oil paint to 1 part of Medium W gel on a palette, then add water as needed. If necessary, add more Medium W gel. Painting tools can be cleaned with soap and water. There is no change of the product quality based on the colour change of the raw material alkyd resin. Dosage: 50%.
Schmincke Medium W is available in a Gel tube or Fluid medium in a jar
Gel is available in a 35 ml tube or 120 ml Tube
- Mix one part medium W gel with two parts oil paint on your palette; than add water as desired or more medium as needed.
- Please clean tools like brushes or palettes as soon as possible with water or water and soap.
- There is one property that medium W gel has in common with “ready to use” water-soluble oil paints and many types of acrylic colours. In an undried state, regular oil paints mixed with medium W gel and water undergo a shift in colour, appearing to be lighter in hue or even “milky”. This effect depends on the colour of the oil paint and the amount of water added. The darker the oil paint and the more water is added, the lighter in hue the wet paint film will appear.
- Close tube immediately after use.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Individual pre-tests are required.
Contains: Modified alkyd resin.
The use of solvents is completely superfluous due to Medium W!
And the big advantage is that the painter can simply continue to use his existing oil paints and only needs 1 medium to change a whole range in the property! Easy to use and perfect in its effect. If required, the medium W, unlike solvents, can also easily be carried in the aircraft.
Medium W is available in 2 versions, adapted to the individual application preference of the artist. The difference between the two products lies in their consistency. Schmincke Medium W (50043) is available in liquid form in the glass, while the Medium W Gel (50143) in a tube has a gel-like consistency. The liquid Medium W must be shaken well before use. Of course, this is not necessary with the gel.
The application of both products is the same: 2 parts of oil colour are mixed with 1 part of Medium W on a palette. If desired, water can now be added for further dilution. Now you can paint as usual with the oil colours. Medium W increases the gloss and transparency of the oil colour, harmonizes the drying process and is low-odor.
Don’t be surprised: In an undried state, when mixing and applying paint, oil paints mixed with Medium W and water initially show a colour shift. The mixture becomes slightly “milky”. This effect depends on the colour of the oil and the amount of water added. The following applies: the darker the oil colour and the higher the amount of water, the lighter the wet colour appears. This water-induced effect also occurs with ready-to-use water-miscible oil colours. As soon as the colour dries, the milky veil disappears and the colour shines with its usual intensity and brilliance.
After completion of the work, the second advantage of Medium W becomes apparent. You can simply clean your brushes, spatulas etc. with soap and water. You do not need any solvents to remove oil residue. Oil painting suddenly becomes odorless and solvent-free with Schmincke Medium W – whether liquid or gel.
So, if you are thinking about using oil paints but not solvents, we recommend Schmincke Medium W. It can be used with all Schmincke oil and resin-oil colours such as MUSSINI®