Creating vibrant and expressive trees with watercolour on Yupo
Watercolour Workshop WITH KAREN BISHOP
2 WEDNESDAYS: NOVEMBER 9 & 16
7:00 – 9:30 PM
$84 + Supply List
Class Limit: 12 Students
Let’s focus on trees! Banks of trees, individual trees, leaves, barren branches, dead trees..
Using layers of colour and reductive techniques, Karen will show you how to make trees the standout element of a painting.
Overcome your fear of that first brush stroke and embrace those happy accidents. Karen will help you learn to trust your intuition and not overthink your artwork. If you are looking to enhance your landscape paintings, this class is for you.
About the Instructor:
Karen Bishop has been a professional artist for more than 15 years. She has been painting on Yupo for several years. Karen used to co-own Daffodil Gallery in Edmonton. She is a busy, enthusiastic artist and instructor.
To see more of Karen’s work, check out her website and Instagram:
- Watercolour Paint – Choose a high-quality brand such as Holbein or Schmincke. Below are the colours I use. Marked with asterisks are the ones I would definitely get. The others are nice, but you can live without them if needed.
- Phthalo Blue
- Cerulean or Horizon Blue*
- Bamboo Green (Phthalo Green or Hookers Green also work)*
- Green Gold
- Quinacridone Violet or other purple*
- Lemon Yellow or other light transparent yellow*
- Cadmium Yellow Deep or other yellow on the orange side
- Burnt Sienna
- Cadmium Scarlet or other medium red*
- Yellow Ochre or Raw Sienna*
- Brushes – #6 or #8 Round brush, #12 filbert (1¾” flat brush works fine too), 2” flat brush for the washes, as well as a teeny brush for finer detail
- Heavy or Medium Yupo Paper – pads in various sizes, 9 x 12” is a good beginning size
- Palette with a large center mixing area
- Board and tape to attach your paper to, rag or paper towel, water container, sketchbook, pencil or art pen
- Suitable art clothes, notebook, snack, drink, and your own PPE (mask, hand sanitizer)
You will receive a 20% discount on all art supplies from your registration until the end of the class!
Artelier is located at 10045 81 Avenue NW (back alley entrance). The workshop space is one block south of The Paint Spot.