Pastel Your Dog & Cat Weekend Workshop WITH DAVID SHKOLNY
Choose one day or both!
SUNDAY, MARCH 5
12:30 PM – 5:30 PM
$80 + Supply List
Class Limit: 12 Students
Any Skill Level – Youth or Adult
In this fun weekend workshop (choose one day or both) learn the process of creating a stunning, realistic portrait of your cat and/or dog in soft pastel!
Beginning with a well-constructed sketch, build up layers of colour to capture the light and textures of your pet. Following step-by-step instructions you will gain a great understanding of the key techniques you can take with you in the future.
Please email the instructor before the class with your photo to ensure it has the right ingredients for a good portrait (photos will also be provided if you don’t have one).
About the Instructor:
David Shkolny grew up in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. He has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (1992). He has been teaching painting and drawing since 2001. David’s artwork is in collections across Europe and North America as well as the Canada Council. Recent public commissions include a painting for Fort Saskatchewan City Hall as well as a pastel for the Kaye Edmonton Clinic.
To see more of David’s work, check out his website and Instagram:
- Set of soft (chalk) pastels (Sennelier, Schmincke are good brands). Nupastels or similar harder brand for sharper detail (not quite as much colour selection).It is important to have a large range of colours rather than a basic set of colours (see pastel portraits advertised for sheer variety of colours used). You may want to bring your photo to The Paint Spot to match some colours – especially subtler greys, creams, browns – based on whatever colour your pet is (e.g., a black cat or dog will need a range of grey values to bring out the fur).
- Soft Vine Charcoal – about ¼” diameter, not the really thin ones or the really thick ones
- 12 x 16” (30 x 40cm) sheet of PastelMat paper (for higher realism) in Sienna or Brown, 1 sheet per day (2 sheets if doing both days). For a more “painterly” and less realistic pastel you can use Pastel Premier in Italian Clay
- Kneadable eraser, 18″ ruler, masking tape, drawing board (Masonite Panel works), easel (optional)
- Suitable art clothes, apron, lunch, drink, and your own PPE (mask, hand sanitizer)
You will receive a 20% discount on all art supplies from your registration until the end of the class!
Artelier is located at 10045 81 Avenue NW (back alley entrance). The workshop space is one block south of The Paint Spot.
Soft Pastel Dog & Cat Workshop, Edmonton, Alberta