Spatula Painting Workshop WITH JUSTINA SMITH
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
$65 + GST
Class Limit: 12 Students
Open to all experience levels!
In this 3-hour class, we will practice mark-making and paint smearing with this fun, versatile, and unusual painting tool.
We’ll make a series of small paintings on paper, so we can block-in, blend colour, and create subtle textures and gradients – as well as some not-so-subtle textures and gradients – in the practice pieces.
This class is great for folks new to working with acrylic and for more experienced painters who want to try a new approach to painting or shake up their painting practice a bit.
About the Instructor:
Justina is a self-taught artist who works in a variety of media, her main media being acrylic paint. Her subject matter varies widely as well but she is particularly drawn to the landscape, especially around the area of Vermilion, where she’s been living and working for the past five years. She creates daily in her basement studio under the steadfast supervision of her two mini dachshunds and her golden retriever.
To see more of Justina’s work, check out her website and Instagram:
Can’t get enough Justina Smith? Check out her Mixed Media Interiors class running October 14 – 15!
- 3 to 4 reference photos to work from
- Painting spatula (Catalyst Blade White #6 30mm or 50mm)
- Acrylic paint and brushes
- Paper for practice – 9 x 12” Canson Watercolour or Mixed Media Pad
- Pencil or pen for drawing a simple outline on paper
- Masking tape
- Mounting board – 12 x 16” Masonite panel works well
- Apron and suitable art clothes, hand towel/tea towel, notebook, snack, drink, and your own PPE (mask, hand sanitizer)
You will receive a 20% discount on all art supplies from your registration until the end of the class!
Artelier is located at 10045 81 Avenue NW (back alley entrance). The workshop space is one block south of The Paint Spot.
spatula painting workshop