Fearless Floral Abstracts Mixed Media Workshop WITH MEGHANA GAUTHIER
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
$80 + Supply List
Class Limit: 12 Students
Any Skill Level – Youth or Adult
This workshop is about using floral and botanical motifs as a starting point to create bold and colourful mixed media work! Emphasis will be placed on finding inspiration, creating a balanced composition with a healthy dose of bold mark making and abstraction techniques using acrylic based media. Inks, fluid acrylics, heavy body acrylics, acrylic matte medium, paper/collage, stencils and dry media such as paint pens, pastels and crayons will be in our toolbox as we create luscious floral paintings.
Use materials you already own, supplementing where necessary. You are welcome to bring signature tools such as a brayer, palette knives and even a discarded painting or two to use as an underpainting for extra depth and texture! Let’s play our way to beautiful abstracted mixed media florals!
About the Instructor:
Meghana is an emerging artist who works in acrylic and mixed media to create bold, expressive florals and portraits. She is based in Edmonton with her family and she is a proud graduate of UofA Extension’s Visual Arts program. After 10 years of diligently learning, experimenting, and producing, she is now excited to share her inspiration and process.
To see more of Meghana’s work, check out her website and Instagram:
Check out more classes with Meghana!
- 1 Cradled Panel (9 x 12″ or 12 x 16”) and mixed media sketchbook (e.g. Canson XL Mixed Media), 9 x 12” or larger
- Bring the colours you already own of the following – if you don’t already have paint or drawing materials, please get a basic set with primary colours (red, yellow, blue), supplemented with accent colours (white, black/brown, metallics, fluorescents are excellent accent colours): acrylic paints (fluid acrylics preferred, but can use heavy body or inks), and drawing materials like oil pastels, 1 or 2 Posca markers or art crayons. Bring your favourite materials – we’ll find a use for them!
- Acrylic medium, scissors (for collage), 2 water containers, palette/palette paper
- Brushes: small to large (bring a variety) – flat brushes are useful for layers while rounds are good for detail work
- Your favorite tools – brushes, palette knives, brayer, old gift cards to squeegee with, sticks, old/worn brushes
- Washi paper (highly recommended), tissue gift paper, found paper is ok (no magazines or coated/shiny papers)
- Suitable art clothes, lunch, drink, and your own PPE (mask, hand sanitizer)
You will receive a 20% discount on all art supplies from your registration until the end of the class!
Artelier is located at 10045 81 Avenue NW (back alley entrance). The workshop space is one block south of The Paint Spot.
Fearless Floral Abstracts Workshop