Soft Pastel Workshop WITH DAVID SHKOLNY
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 17
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
$80 + Supply List
Class Limit: 12 Students
Bring your own photo!
Due to popular demand, for this workshop you will bring your own reference photo to work from in soft (chalk) pastel.
Following a short demo in getting started and the initial stages of working on a pastel, you will work on your own with guidance throughout the class.
Students are encouraged to contact the instructor prior to the workshop with their photo to consult on it.
About the Instructor:
David Shkolny grew up in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. He has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (1992). He has been teaching painting and drawing since 2001. David’s artwork is in collections across Europe and North America as well as the Canada Council. Recent public commissions include a painting for Fort Saskatchewan City Hall as well as a pastel for the Kaye Edmonton Clinic.
To see more of David’s work, check out his website and Instagram:
Also check out David’s Abandoned Building in Soft Pastel class!
- Set of good quality soft (chalk) pastels (Sennelier, Schmincke, and others) minimum of 40 (more is better). It’s helpful (but optional) to have a set of Nupastel in addition to the ones mentioned in various shades of gray, brown, and black. The cheaper sets will not have good colour adhesion. Alternatively, you can buy single pastels of Schmincke, or others to make up your own set. Neutral colours are excellent to have like dull browns, pinks, greens, greys, etc. Colours are also conditional upon the piece you’re working on and if you contact the instructor he can advise.
- Augment the set with some really dark browns and green and a few shades of blue
- 12 x 16” sheet of Pastel Premier paper in Italian Clay
- Soft vine charcoal – medium thickness (about ¼”), not too skinny as they break easily and not too fat
- Kneadable eraser
- Small bottle of isopropyl alcohol (70% alcohol or more)
- A few different flat brushes – ¼” to ½”, plus a small yogurt container
- Masking tape
- 18″ ruler
- Smooth drawing board (around 14 X 18”) Masonite Panel works well
- Tabletop easel (optional)
- Apron to protect your clothes from the pastels
- Suitable art clothes, lunch, drink, and your own PPE (mask, hand sanitizer)
You will receive a 20% discount on all art supplies from your registration until the end of the class!
*Artelier is located at 10045 81 Avenue NW, Edmonton (back alley entrance). The workshop space is one block south of The Paint Spot.
Soft Pastel Workshop, Edmonton, Alberta