WITH MEGHANA GAUTHIER
SUNDAY, JULY 3
12:00 – 5:00 PM
$80 + Supply List
Class Limit: 12 Students
This workshop is about using floral and botanical motifs as a starting point to create bold and colourful mixed media work!
Using a fast and fluid approach with acrylic-based media, crayons, pastels, and collage, we will create two paintings (1 small and 1 medium).
We will review what makes a successful painting: inspiration (including my favourite sources), balanced composition, strong values, colour harmony, and confident mark-making with a healthy dose of experimentation and abstraction.
Use materials you already own, supplementing where necessary with basic acrylic, mixed media, and collage supplies. Bring discarded or unfinished paintings to revive, as well as your signature tools (brayer, palette knives, etc).
Let’s play our way to beautiful abstracted mixed media florals!
About the Instructor: Meghana is an emerging artist who works in acrylic and mixed media to depict her favourite subject: abstracted florals! She is based in Edmonton with her family and she is a proud graduate of UofA Extension’s Visual Arts program. Florals are just a prompt for her to explore pattern, colour, and composition – after 10 years of diligently learning, experimenting, and producing, she is now excited to share her inspiration and process in making bold, expressive mixed media floral paintings.
To see more of Meghana’s work, check out her website and Instagram:
Instructor will bring a selection of books for inspiration, finished works, inks, pastels, and papers.
- 2 Canvases – 1 small (around 8 x 10” or 9 x 12″) and 1 medium (around 12 x 16″ or 16 x 20″).
- Bring your favourite heavy body, fluid, or high flow acrylic paints (Golden, Holbein, Amsterdam) and inks. A basic starter set (red/blue/yellow/black) plus teal, navy, chartreuse, Indian yellow, pink, fluorescents, would be excellent.
- Dry drawing materials – soft or oil pastels (Faber-Castell, Holbein, Nupastel) – your favourite colours or a basic starter set, crayons, markers, etc. Bring your favourite materials – we’ll find a use for them!
- For collage, bring found paper (Washi, old paintings, prints, photos, etc), scissors, and acrylic medium.
- Your favourite tools – brushes, palette knives, brayer, old gift cards to squeegee with, sticks, old/worn brushes.
- Suitable art clothes/apron, rags, hand towel/tea towel, notebook, lunch, drink, and your own PPE (mask, hand sanitizer).
You will receive a 20% discount on all art supplies from your registration until the end of the class!
Artelier is located at 10045 81 Avenue NW (back alley entrance). The workshop space is one block south of The Paint Spot.