Watercolour En Plein Air
WITH KAREN BISHOP
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15
7:00 – 9:30 PM
$42 + Supply List
Class Limit: 12 Students
Are you itching to take your paints on the road? Do you love to paint, love to be outside and want to spend more time appreciating nature? Come learn some of the basics of watercolour painting in the great outdoors.
I’ll set you up with what to bring, how to downsize your gear to fit in a backpack and how to survive the mosquitos/low flying birds/occasional bear visit!
We’ll practice taking an overwhelming scene and breaking it down into something manageable and fun to paint. Working quickly, I’ll demonstrate how to capture the important details and not stress the small stuff.
This class will be indoors, but I will be organizing regular painting dates throughout the summer for a small drop-in fee – details will be given at the first class.
About the Instructor: Karen Bishop has been a professional artist for more than 15 years. She has been painting on Yupo for several years. Karen used to co-own Daffodil Gallery in Edmonton. She is a busy, enthusiastic artist and instructor.
To see more of Karen’s work, check out her website and Instagram:
- Watercolour Paint – Choose a high-quality brand such as Holbein or Schmincke. Below are the colours I use. Marked with asterisks are the ones I would definitely get. The others are nice, but you can live without them if needed.
- Phthalo Blue
- Cerulean or Horizon Blue*
- Bamboo Green (Phthalo Green or Hookers Green also work)*
- Green Gold
- Quinacridone Violet or other purple*
- Lemon Yellow or other light transparent yellow*
- Cadmium Yellow Deep or other yellow on the orange side
- Burnt Sienna
- Cadmium Scarlett or other medium red*
- Yellow Ochre or Raw Sienna*
- Brushes – #6 or #8 Round brush, #12 filbert (1¾” flat brush works fine too), 2” flat brush for the washes, a teeny brush for finer detail
- Heavy or Medium Yupo Paper – pads in various sizes, 9 x 12” is a good beginning size
- Palette with a large centre mixing area
- Board and tape to attach your paper to, rag or paper towel, water container, sketchbook, pencil or art pen
- Suitable art clothes, notebook, snack, drink, and your own PPE (mask, hand sanitizer)
You will receive a 20% discount on all art supplies from your registration until the end of the class!
Artelier is located at 10045 81 Avenue NW (back alley entrance). The workshop space is one block south of The Paint Spot.